Thursday, December 17

plan b by becasse

Last week, I blogged at Cosmo about wanting a wagyu beef burger from Plan B by Becasse for Christmas. Today, I got my wish!

Miss C and I went to Plan B for lunch today. I was nursing a nasty hangover and she was nursing a bottle of champers for me for Christmas – how apt! We both ordered the 800-day grain fed wagyu beef burger, and guess what? It was the best freakin’ burger I’ve ever had. Better than New York’s famed Shake Shack burgers. Better than my stepmum’s veggie burgers (which are pretty awesome). Better than a cheeseburger at midnight.

The meat patty is generous, to say the least, and full of flavour. It’s rich, juicy and incredibly seasoned – amazing. Topped with a slice of cheese (it tastes like gruyere, but I could be wrong) that has melted over the patty deliciously, a bed of lettuce, caramelised onion, beetroot (of course) and a dollop of creamy mayo, it’s perfection in a brioche bun. And at just $10, it’s amazing value (most pub burgers are more expensive, right?) Plus, it doesn’t have fries on the side, so I’m not tempted to eat more than I need. Tick, tick, tick.

Plan B is run by Justin North, the chef behind the city’s best-known French restaurant, Becasse. This year, Justin was named Chef of the Year by the Sydney Morning Herald, and his restaurants (there are four) have won about a gazillion awards. In 2007, Becasse was named in the top 100 restaurants in the world. Pretty impressive stuff. Plan B is like Becasse’s little sister – a little less ambitious, but with the same quality and attention to detail as big sis Becasse. It’s a place to get lunch to take back to the office (like a pork belly sandwich, perhaps?) or a coffee and treat (banana, caramel and salted pecan tart, anyone?). It’s small but elegantly decked out, and might just be my new favourite spot.
Plan B by Becasse
204 Clarence St, Sydney
http://www.becasse.com.au/
9283 3450

No comments:

Post a Comment