Thursday, December 3

homemade chilli - a DDS original recipe

Get this: some people actually eat two-and-five a day. You know, two serves of fruit, five serves of veggies. Seriously. I am one of those people.

That is to say, I try very hard to be one of those people. As much as I truly believe that everything is better with butter, I also try pretty hard to be healthy (for the most part). So when I'm cooking for Caliban and I at home, I make an effort to use as many veggies as possible. It helps immensely that Caliban (thank God) isn't one of those "meat-and-potatoes" men.

One of my favourite veggie-packed meals is this chilli. It's super healthy, low-fat, low-carb and most importantly, it actually tastes great. Try it and let me know what you think!

Homemade Veggie Chilli: a DDS original recipe

2 x 400gm cans chopped tomatoes
400gm can red kidney beans
1/2 cup tomato puree
1 red capsicum, chopped
10 large mushrooms, chopped
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
Punnet cherry tomatoes, chopped into quarters
Tablespoon cumin*
Tablespoon ground chilli
Tablespoon cinnamon
Tablespoon oregano
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander

* Honestly, I hardly ever measure spices (unless I'm baking). I think everyone has herbs and spices they love, and that you should determine how much of each you use based on this. If you hate chilli, don't use as much. Experiment until you get a result you love.

1. Add tablespoon of olive oil to saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Stir until onion is soft and golden brown.
2. Add chopped capsicum and mushrooms. Stir for three minutes.
3. Add tomato puree, chopped canned tomatoes, kidney beans and cherry tomatoes. Stir until combined.
4. Add spices and simmer for as little as 10 minutes or as long as an hour.
5. Serve with Greek yoghurt, avocado and warm wholegrain tortillas. If you want to be naughty, serve with corn chips.

1 comment:

  1. In the countries where these spices come from, they cook the spices before they add liquid... this does enhance the flavour.... next time give it a go

    ReplyDelete