Sunday, December 6

eveleigh farmers market

"Hey," says Caliban. "I have an idea. Why don't we go to the farmers' markets at Carriageworks this morning?"

As someone who loves markets, food and Caliban (not necessarily in that order), I jump at the offer. Off to market we go!

We scoot over to the markets, located at Redfern's awesome new-ish venue, Carriageworks. It's a theatre, art gallery, marketplace and festival space all in one. We arrive perilously close to closing time (the markets run every Saturday from 8am to 1pm - we rock up at 12.30pm) but we manage to score some amazing food anyway.

Armed with an especially tart blood orange juice each, Caliban and I divide and conquer. He goes in search of cheese, and I'm looking for Christmas gifts. When we reunite, we've both got what we want. Caliban shows off wedges of washed rind brie and regular brie, and roasted macadamia nut butter from Hand'n'Hoe (plus some fresh macadamias from the same stall). I show him the Fatma's Farms sour cherry jam I've just picked up, plus the Pukara Estate Wasabi Mayonnaise (we're huge fans of Pukara's Wasabi Olive Oil, so I can't wait to try their mayo) and the Gumnut Salted Caramel Sauce. "Where's Sonoma?" Caliban asks, referring to Sydney's premier sourdough bakery, which has a stall here. We go in search of a stick of sourdough to spread with our new supplies, but as luck wouldn't have it, Sonoma was sold out.

We resolve to return next Saturday, earlier, so we can enjoy Toby's Estate lattes and Sonoma baked goods for brekky, and shop for more gorgeous food. Cannot. Wait.

Also, if you've ever bought anything from Etsy, you'll love the Eveleigh art markets, Finders Keepers, located adjacent to the farmers' market. It's exactly like Etsy, but live. Imagine! As Caliban rightly observed, "It's for trendy girls and hipster mummies." Exactly. There are stalls by Frankie and Dumbo Feather magazines, Trixie Delicious and Bespoke stationery. It's very cool and if I could have stayed there all day, I would've.

Eveleigh Farmers' Markets
243 Wilson St, Redfern
Every Saturday, 8am - 1pm
www.eveleighmarkets.com.au

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, these markets sound too excellent NOT to investigate! As a fellow Sydney sider (I live on the Northern Beaches!), I'll definitely have to make the trip over to go exploring :) Thanks for letting me know about them, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete