Wednesday, January 6

vive la bouillabaise!

Last week, our friend John made bouillabaise for everyone at his New Year's Eve party. Paired with generous hunks of Vienna loaf and equally generous amounts of champagne, it was a hit.

It inspired me to make my own bouillabaise. I searched the net for some recipes, and then adapted these to my own needs. I wanted a quick recipe (for a weeknight dinner) and I didn't want to use mussels, as I wasn't going to the seafood markets (and I don't really trust the mussels from Woolworth's!). Here is my recipe:

Easy-peasy bouillabaisse

Serves 4

Ingredients
800g tinned diced tomatoes
1 cup dry white wine
2 cups fish stock
300g raw prawns
300g white fish fillets
Bunch of thyme
Fresh chilli, chopped (as much as you like – depending on how hot you like your dishes)
Fresh garlic, chopped (see above!)
Tablespoon of smoked paprika (or more, depending on your tastes)
1 cup chopped leek
1 onion, chopped

Add onion, leek, garlic and chilli to saucepan over medium heat with two tablespoons of olive oil. Stir until onion and leek are browned.
Add tomatoes, fish stock and white wine. Simmer for 15 minutes, adding paprika and thyme.
Add fish and prawns, and cook for a further 4-6 minutes, or until fish and prawns are cooked through.
Serve with crusty white bread and a glass of white wine. Voila!

1 comment:

  1. That's better. Cooked the chilli before adding the liquid.
    Clever girl!

    ReplyDelete