Monday, August 24

Sparkle Cupcakery

Have I mentioned that I loved cupcakes? Because I love cupcakes. I really, really love them.

Caliban and I held our engagement party on Saturday night (big thanks to Sam and Mauricio at Bar 202) and as well as yummy canapes and some much-needed alcohol-absorbent wedges later in the night, we served cupcakes from Sparkle Cupcakery, in Surry Hills.

As I said on Saturday, there's really no shortage of cupcakes in Sydney. Someone should open a coffee-cupcake hybrid store called Starcups - because that's how ubiquitous they're becoming. But - as always - there's a difference between grown-up cupcakes that remind you of childhood, and cupcakes that look like they've been made by a three-year-old. With sight problems.

Sparkle Cupcakery's offerings fit into the former category. The cake is densely moist and most taste like they have cream cheese mixed into the batter (cream cheese is fab in cakes - like sour cream and even beetroot, it offers more moisture). There are a bazillion fab flavours to try, too. I'm a sucker for traditionalism and I pretty much always choose vanilla-on-vanilla, so I was pleasantly surprised to hear that this was Sparkle's signature flavour, Pure Sparkle. Ka-ching! We also ordered Lemon Squeeze, Oriental Flower (a gorgeous lychee and rose cake with rose petal topping), White Chocolate and Strawberry (with real strawberries in the cake!) and Milk Chocolate. I did hear some reports that the Milk Chocolate was a little dry, but I didn't taste it myself, unfortunately.
One of the best things about Sparkle is the shop itself. When I went to pick up my cupcakes, there were two groups of women scoffing cupcakes and champagne like it was the world's ultimate girly hen's party/baby shower. And funnily enough, it was. Highly recommended, cheesy veils and all.

Sparkle Cupcakery
132 Foveaux St, Surry Hills
www.sparklecupcakery.com.au
9361 0690




1 comment:

  1. Glad your engagement party went of nicely. Man cupcakes are great, I have a friend who just cooks the most devine cupcakes oh and her icing is so yummy. I love baking cakes for my gilrs parties. but I will ahve to venture into one of these little cupcake stores and give them a try.

    ReplyDelete